If you grew up naïve like me chances are you had a Yahoo email account at one time or another.
Times have changed – better options surfaced – maybe you decided to auto-forward all Yahoo mail to your Gmail address.
Well apparently this is going behind a paywall on 01/01/2021 – see below email screenshot.
The good news is – apparently they aren’t removing POP3 functionality and putting that behind a paywall.
So here is a sequence of steps to ensure your legacy email is still pumping into Gmail – if you have a few straggler accounts or newsletters that haven’t been properly changed over yet.
- Optional – probably do a security checkup on this account and ensure it has a strong password with a email backup in case Yahoo inevitably gets hacked again
- Disable Auto Forwarding in your Yahoo
- Remarks – Replace the last step of the KB article with the delete button
- Steps to Follow – https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN22028.html
- Generate an App Password for usage in Gmail POP3 settings
- Remarks – Put this password somewhere for safe keeping like LastPass – you will not be able to see it again unless you generate a new one
- Steps to Follow – https://help.yahoo.com/kb/generate-third-party-passwords-sln15241.html
- Open this page for reference of Yahoo POP3 settings
- Remarks – These settings will be used to supplement in upcoming steps
- URL to Reference – https://help.yahoo.com/kb/pop-access-settings-instructions-yahoo-mail-sln4724.html?
- Plug your username and the aforementioned App Password in from Step 3
- Remarks – Be sure you’re comparing POP3 settings and most importantly using the APP password and not your YAHOO password (as mentioned in previous steps)
- Steps to Follow – https://support.google.com/mail/answer/21289?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en